The Ontario Curling Council administers all province-wide, Multi-Sport Winter Games on behalf of its members, CurlON and the Northern Ontario Curling Association. The Ontario Winter Games is one of those competitions.
The 2020 Ontario Winter Games will be hosted by the city of Orillia on February 27 – March 1, 2020.
Curling will host four disciplines at the games:
- U18 Boys – Four Person (6 teams)
- U18 Girls – Four Person (6 teams)
- U21 Mixed Doubles (6 teams)
- Wheelchair (6 teams)
U18 Boy & Girls Four Person – 17 years of age or under as of June 30, 2019
U21 Mixed Doubles – 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2019
Wheelchair – no age restriction
Coach Certification Standards:
All coaches will be required to have a valid Criminal Record Check on file with the Ontario Curling Council valid for the entire duration of the competition (qualifiers + provincials).
Only coaches with the standards outlined below will be granted on-ice access (practice/breaks/timeouts) during competitions.
U18 Boys & Girls Four Person: Competition Coach “Trained” (Note: Competition Coach “Trained” = Competition Coach Workshop + Make Ethical Decisions Workshop)*.
*A one time exemption will be available upon request.
U21 Mixed Doubles: Certified Competition Coach
Wheelchair: Certified Competition Coach
U18 Boys & Girls Four Person: January 3-5, 2020 (Friday start dependent upon number of teams entered and size of club) – Six open qualifiers (2 north, 4 south) – Entry for these qualifiers will occur through the Ontario Curling Council website when the host clubs have been determined (Target date October 1, 2019).
U21 Mixed Doubles: January 10-12, 2020 (Friday start dependent upon number of teams entered and size of club) – Six open qualifiers (2 north, 4 south)- Entry for these qualifiers will occur through the Ontario Curling Council website when the host clubs have been determined (Target date October 1, 2019).
- Automatic Entry: The top 2 teams from the Northern Ontario Curling Association 2019 Provincials & Top 3 teams from the 2019 CurlON provincials have pre-qualified for the 2020 OWG providing they have 3/4 returning players from their provincial teams.
- One open lottery entry position for newly formed team that has not qualified for the event will round out the qualification field.
- If a pre-qualified team does not have 3/4 returning players, that spot will also go to a lottery team.
- Lottery team(s) will be selected on Friday, December 13, 2019
Only athletes who are members of a CurlON or NOCA Affiliated curling club are eligible to enter the competition. Team members do not have to be members of the same curling club. Teams are welcome to play in any of the six open qualifiers. Age and gender rules for the disciplines apply as per discipline rules.
The Ontario Curling Council liaises with all host committees/organizations on behalf of all curlers. Questions about any aspect the games should be directed to Jennifer Ferris, Manager – Programs and Operations at email@example.com or 289-527-0352.