Ontario Curling Council is pleased to announce the continuation of the the Next Generation Program for the 2017-2018 season.
About the Program:
The goal of the Ontario Curling Council (OCC)’s Next Generation Program is to support the implementation of Curling Canada’s Podium Pathway, a high performance development system, in Ontario. It is intended to ensure a progressive stream of athletes and coaches are being trained to standards required to win Olympic and World Championships. Our focus is on athletes who are 9-12 years away from Curling Canada’s National Team Program. Athlete and coaching development within the Program will be individualized for each team – to ensure they are receiving what they need to advance their development.
New – For the 2017-2018 Season, Ontario Curling Council is launching a Next Gen – Elite program which will service a limited number of Adult Teams, Mixed Doubles, Wheelchair Athletes and U21/U18 teams who have demonstrated progression in their development through performance. The top two Next Gen U21/U18 teams (one male team, one female team) as determined by the Next Gen Program Application will receive an invitation to participate in the Next Gen Elite Program for the 2017-2018 Season. There will be no consideration to geographical residence of the top two applicants.
The U18/U21 Next Gen Program will run from July 1, 2017-March 31, 2018. Teams must commit to participating in program activities TOGETHER until the end of the program. A total of six teams (three male, three female) will be accepted into the U18/U21 Next Gen program.
- One male team representing NOCA
- One female team representing NOCA
- One male team representing OCA
- One female team representing OCA
- One wildcard male team representing either NOCA or OCA
- One wildcard female team representing either NOCA or OCA
What should program teams expect from the program?
- Teams will be assigned a Provincial Mentor Coach to work with for the year – the Provincial mentor Coach will assist with Gap analysis, yearly plan design/consultation, sport specific training – delivery, brushing, strategy and tactics.
- Teams will be provided with a curling specific fitness program, with mandatory testing requirements
- Teams will be provided with Mental Performance Training (Sport Psychology)
- Teams will receive Competition Review Support by provincial coaches at a minimum of one event per team.
- Teams will receive training from the Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario’s Nutritionists (Group Delivery Format)
- Team coaches will be mentored throughout the season and receive professional development credit towards their Maintenance of Certification.
- Teams will have access to equipment such as instrumented brushes, wireless mics, speed traps, etc…
Selection Protocol/Program Information can be found here: Next Generation Program – Program Information
Application Forms can be found here: Next Generation Program Application
Rankings can be found here: 2017-2018 Next Gen Program Application – Rankings
All applications must be received by June 19, 2017 at 12:00 pm EST. Applications are to be emailed to Jennifer Ferris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Confirmation of Receipt will be sent on June 19, 2016 by 5:00 pm EST – if you have not received Confirmation of Receipt by then please contact Jennifer Ferris at 289-527-0352.
Any questions should be directed to Jennifer Ferris, Manager, Programs and Operations – at email@example.com or 289-527-0352.