The Ontario Curling Council (OCC) is the proud recipient of a Government of Ontario’s “Ontario 150 Community Celebration Grant.” We want to share our grant with Ontario Curling Clubs and together celebrate and showcase the rich history, past successes and the joy of participating in the sport of curling during the “Great Ontario Bonspiel.”
On November 18, 2017 – 20 Ontario and Northern Ontario curling clubs will join the OCC in hosting 20 one-day bonspiels with a common theme of “Ontario 150 – Great Ontario Bonspiel.” The “Ontario 150 – The Great Ontario Bonspiel” will showcase the contributions that the Ontario Government and Programs have made to curling and what curling clubs have done for the Ontario communities where they reside.
The Ontario Curling Council will help each club tell their success stories by developing commemorative story telling videos, we’ll video link all the events together on November 18th, so that clubs know they’re part of a bigger event! OCC will also provide winners of each of the bonspiel with a customized “Ontario 150 – Great Ontario Bonspiel” Prize.
The Ontario Curling Council will work with local host committees to develop your club’s celebration event, we’ll share ideas of other clubs, help you develop marketing materials. Specifically, the OCC will help each club develop their own Success Story Video – The Success story videos could highlight the contributions of key volunteers, the impact curling has made on youth in the community, the contribution of a volunteer coach, the role the club played in developing a National or Olympic level athlete, recognize the contributions made to infrastructure projects within your club by Ontario Trillium Foundation, how your club provides an opportunity for participation for under-represented groups (LGBTQ, New Canadians, Indigenous, Low Income Youth), etc… This is your opportunity to share your club’s greatest accomplishment!
- Reserve the club for Saturday, November 18th for the “Great Ontario Bonspiel”
- Create an organizing committee. Organizing committee must:
- Designate two contacts who the OCC will liaise with
- Have a minimum of one person who is age 25 or younger on the committee – it’s really important that we train future volunteer leaders within our clubs
- Have a person on the committee or have access to someone who can help with Audio/Visual requirements leading up to and on Nov 18th
- Provide the required video/photos to produce the storytelling videos
- Register teams, promote the event (we’ll help too), collect entry fees*
- Host the bonspiel (set the draw, arrange food, prizes, entertainment) like any other bonspiel
- Report on the event’s success (ex. Participation numbers, spectator numbers)
(*Club can set entry fee per team, $15/team fee payable to OCC to help offset prize expenses, all other revenue – ie draws/raffles, bar go to the club!)
Please note – local government officials may want to be part of your event (Welcoming speech, awarding prizes, participating in the event, photo ops) – we’ll keep you informed of any government interest.
Want to use this event as a fundraiser for your club or a favourite charity? You can also partner with the National Sport Trust Fund – Ontario, and offer charitable tax receipts to participants.
Ontario Curling Council Responsibilities
- Create a personalized Video “story” for your club to use in future club promotions
- Provide each club with an “event hosting kit”
- Assist with the development of Marketing Materials for your event
- Provide a means to “link” the clubs together on November 18th
- Provide a set of four customized “Ontario 150 – Great Ontario Bonspiel” Prizes to each host club.
Apply to be a Host Location
The Ontario Curling Council is now accepting applications from clubs to be part of this exciting event. We can only accept 20 clubs. Deadline for Club applications is May 15th, 2017 at 5:00 pm EST, all successful clubs will be notified by May 20th, 2017 of their acceptance as a location.
Saturday, November 18, 2017 – “The Ontario 150 Great Ontario Bonspiel.” One Province. One Day. Thousands of participants celebrating Curling’s contribution to Ontario and Ontario’s contribution to Curling. Don’t miss out!!!